Pure Mountains was established by Tim and Jenny in 2005, a British couple who moved out to the Sierra Nevada mountains to set up their dream business of running an MTB holiday company. Providing luxury trips, guided tours and amazing food, the Pure Mountains experience was purely awesome. Here's the Velo Me review of my 5 day stay.
The Holiday Package
So what's included, and for how much? I went on a 5 night trip with skills coaching from 4X World Champion, Katy Curd. The price of the trip was £599. You can take your own bike, or rent one from their Canyon Spectral fleet for £195. I chose to rent a bike out there for convenience, so the total package holiday came to £794.
For this you get quite a lot included, and Pure Mountains really takes a lot of the extra stress off you by catering to all your needs. The package included:
- Airport transfers from Malaga airport to the Pure Mountains lodge
- Room (with towels, extra blankets and en-suite)
- 3 Meals a day (excl. 2 nights at a local restaurant: €20 pp pn)
- Guided rides in the morning, with coaching from Katy Curd in the afternoons
- Bike hire of a Canyon Spectral
- WiFi in lounge area
- Tim's home-made ale from his micro-brewery
The lodge is set in a beautiful secluded area of the Sierra Nevada mountains, at an altitude of 1700m, which offers some stunning scenery. What sets this apart from most other holidays, is that it's an eco lodge, powered by solar panels. The panoramic views are absolutely stunning here, the perfect way to spend breakfast.
My group consisted of six riders, Coach Katy Curd and Guide Tim or Jenny. An eight person group size didn't feel too big, or small. Everyone was super lovely and easy to get on with and throughout the holiday, there was time to get to know everyone. I'm so relieved that we had a lovely group because they really made the holiday enjoyable and relaxing.
The mornings consisted of guided trail rides which are incredibly fun. Whether you're a beginner or expert, there is something for everyone. Unlike the UK, the terrain is rocky and loose which adds a challenging element to the riding, and a great way to learn new techniques. It was helpful to have Katy with us, coaching us through some of the more technical sections. After a re-fuelling lunch, it was back outside for some essential skills coaching with Katy, and I think everyone in the group came away feeling more confident and more able on the bike.
Pure Mountains offers a great package MTB holiday and while they take care of so much, you can just focus on your riding which is great. Some additional information:
- All prices are based on one person sharing a room with another. I travelled with Linzi from the Velo Vie Ladies, and we shared together which was great... apart from the late nights where we were up chatting into the wee early hours! If you do want a single room to yourself, there is a surcharge.
- The lodge is eco friendly and runs off of solar energy, so Jenny and Tim ask you limit your power usage. This means no hair-dryers or strengtheners, ladies! Not too big of a deal when the warm weather dries you quickly, but you may have some Monica frizz to tame!
- You need to buy your own insurance! I got MTB specific travel insurance which only cost me £24 for the trip. You'll also need an EU Health card which is free when you register online
- You'll need to book and pay for your own flights. The closest airport is Malaga which is convenient for most people as there are many airports which fly there. I flew from Cardiff for €160 return
My Spanish MTB adventure was amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I wouldn't have had as much fun if it wasn't for Pure Mountains. Jenny and Tim are so welcoming and they did everything they could to make me feel happy, confident and comfortable. The lodge was comfortable, the trails were challenging and the company was great. I really hope to book again in the future, even if I have to tolerate some wild hair and share a room with a chatter-box! (I was the chatter-box, not Linzi haha). Great holiday, amazing surroundings and indulgent food, I highly recommend a trip with Pure Mountains.