There was once a time when women’s race categories were few and far between, and the idea of a women’s only mountain bike event seemed like a distant pipe-dream. Well now, we have a few to look forward to in our annual riding calendar; Red Bull Foxhunt, the Hope Tech Women’s Enduro, and now, the Gowaan Gals women’s mountain bike festival.
If you’re on social media, then you’ve surely stumbled across the Gowaan Gals. They’re a little bit mental, but for all the right reasons. Created by enduro athletes, Bex Baraona and Martha Gill, the Gowaan Gals is all about having fun on your bike, both in and out of the race tapes. Simple really. But now the two women are on a mission, to host a seriously epic women’s mountain bike festival at Farmer John’s MTB park in September 2019.
Taking place from September 6th to 8th, the Gowaan Gals MTB Festival has it all for an action-packed weekend of riding bikes, talking bikes, bikes, and fun hang out times at the festival village. The full weekend includes:
- Camping: Camp for two nights with bell tent glamping options available.
- Private trails: The park will be all yours and closed to the public.
- Special guest appearances
- Airbag: Test out your flying skills, learn something new, face your fears and enjoy open use on the airbag all weekend.
- Pumptrack: Push your limits, get your pump on, and take part in a couple of friendly challenges!
- Dual slalom race: A chance to compete in a friendly head-to-head field race.
- Workshops: Wheelie session with Martha, jump sessions, trail trains with special guests
- Bike maintenance with 18bikes shop.
- Q&A session: Ask Gowaan Gals anything, from EWS racing, what we get up to in our downtime, to who our favourite riders are.
- MTB Village: Ride demos, visit the expo area, shop and don’t forget to pick up a Gowaan Gals tie-dye shirt!
- Relax Zone: Grab some food & drink and relax in our 16m Moroccan style tipi tent. Book in for a massage or talk to health professionals about looking after your body.
- Saturday night live music: Put the bikes away and hang out in the tipi with some live music.
- Food and Bar: Available all weekend including exclusive Gowaan Gals beers & ciders!
There are two types of ticket on offer; Riders Pass is £75 pp (£50pp under 16-years) and includes access to all activities for the weekend and a camping pitch for two nights.
The Village pass is £25 pp, and includes access to the event village for the weekend, without the riding. Ideal for partners, non-riding friends and children.
With so much on offer throughout the weekend, I don’t doubt that this won’t be a sell-out event so be quick to order your tickets from Gowaan Gals.
I don’t know about you, but it’s already in my calendar!